Tuesday, December 16, 2014

The Custom Tower


When I was a child in the early 1940’s I lived on West Fifth St. a far distance from Boston Harbor. In those days we had only one tall building in Boston and that was the Custom House. From my bedroom on the third floor I had a clear view of the top of the tower. At night I would look out of my window and see the sweeping light it emitted presumably to prevent aircraft from hitting it as they approached the Municipal Airport in East Boston. I got so used to seeing the light before going to sleep that I kind of needed it to help me nod off. Funny that after all these years I can still picture that scene.

Years later when I worked at the JFK building in Boston I had heard that you could get to the top of the tower. You took an elevator to nearly the top then squeezed yourself in a much smaller elevator (that could fit no more than two people) for the remainder of the trip. The view from the top was spectacular. You could see Logan and all kinds of aircraft taking off and landing. You had all of Boston Harbor at your disposal. I was late getting back to work that day because I just couldn’t leave the tower. I am glad I made the effort because soon thereafter they declared the smaller elevator too dangerous. For all I know I may have been the last person to use it.

The Custom Tower has a special place in my memory bank. Every time I pass it I think back to a much simpler time of my youth.

No comments: