Wednesday, December 6, 2017

JOE'S SPA EMPLOYMENT



Recently a friend posted a question asking what your first job was as a teenager. My response was “Worked a soda fountain making "frappes" milk shakes and dishing out ice cream sundaes and ice cream cones.” That was over 60 years ago. Since the restaurant was owned by Father and Uncle both families were employed there. The Restaurant was Joe’s Spa on West Broadway.

I worked full time during the summers but only on weekends when I was going to school. Today there are many fine restaurants in Southie and the choices quite varied. For those of you who lived in Southie in the Fifties your choices were limited. The only restaurant of considerable size was Joe’s Spa.

Back then the Blue Laws were in effect. That meant the bars were closed at 1:00 AM on Fridays and 12:00 AM on Saturday. A half hour after they closed all of the bar occupants ended up at Spa. It was the only time the reserve room in the back was open. It was utter chaos. Many nights all of the booths were occupied and there was standing room only. Our kitchen was closed but our sandwich station was open. That was where I ended up working.

Over the years when I mentioned I worked at the Spa people would tell me “that’s where I met my Spouse.” I am sure it was during those post bar meetings when everyone in Southie was gathered. I have fond memories of that time although I was working too hard to appreciate the social activities happening all around me.

No comments: