Wednesday, October 3, 2018

PINNOCHIO


I remember the first motion picture I ever saw. It was around 1941 when I was at the impressionable age of 6. The movie was Pinocchio. There were 2 movie theaters in Southie at the time, the Broadway on West Broadway and the Strand on East Broadway. The movie was not shown at either theater. To see it you had to go downtown Boston which was an adventure by itself.

It was the golden age of Movie theaters and the lobbies to a 6 year old were a marvel to see. I entered a world previously  unknown to me. The Paramount (which was recently renovated by Emerson College) was where I saw the movie.

Unfortunately at my age I thought what I was about to see was real. The scene where Pinocchio was changing into a donkey was an earth shattering moment and for years I tried to live an exemplary life because I thought that could happen to me. As I said at the beginning I was at impressionable age.


No comments: