Monday, January 13, 2014

EARLY TV SCREENS


Today when we watch television we feel cheated if the screen is less than 47 inches in diameter. Most homes I visit, 60 inches is the norm. That wasn’t always the case. When I was young Radio was the way we were entertained. My mind created the images in very vivid colors. Programs such as Jack Benny, Fred Allen, Bob Hope, Groucho Marx, Fibber Mcgee and Molly had me rolling in laughter. Drama such as Orson Welles Mercury Theater, CBS Radio Workshop, The Campbell Playhouse had my imagination running wild. My mind provided all of the visual images I needed.

When television first made it to the airwaves very few people I knew could afford a set. My downstairs neighbor was the first to purchase one. What drove him to buy one was the Texaco Star Theater starring Milton Berle… “Mr. Television” as he was known. Now the actual TV screen was only 9 inches in diameter. Our neighbor would invite us once a week to see “Uncle Milty.” Now we were five in number and they were three. That meant 8 of us huddled around a 9 inch screen. The young ones like myself sat on the floor while our elders had the luxury of the couch and chairs.

Size didn’t matter. The thrill of viewing television live and laughing with everyone else at the antics of a madman funnyman was what counted. Nine inches may seem archaic to young people now, but to me it was as good as the biggest screens available today.

No comments: