Saturday, March 29, 2014

SCHOOL BOY PARADE

When I went to Boston Latin High School in the early 1950’s I was required to take military drilling once a week. We marched in the gym if the weather was bad but otherwise in the large courtyard outside. Originally as a freshman I was given the rank of private but by the time I was a senior I became an officer. In May there was a competition among all of the classes to determine which of the officers would become majors and as a result lead a battalion. The purpose of all this drilling and competition was to ready ourselves for the Annual Schoolboy Parade.
The parade was an annual event that drew thousands of people throughout the heart of downtown Boston. The Governor, the Mayor and other city officials reviewed the troops from all the schools and would present awards to the best regiments. The event rivaled the opening day at Fenway Park, the Marathon and even the Fourth of July in terms of importance.
After the competition in May in the courtyard I found out I one of the officers who excelled and I was awarded the rank of major and would lead one of Boston Latin’s Battalions. I should tell you that I was not very tall, never exceeding 66 inches in height. So there I was in the front of the battalion followed by the flag bearers  and all of the captains in a line behind me. Now everyone else was closer to six feet tall so the shortest person (me) was out in front of the entire troop of schoolboy soldiers,… made quite a sight for sure. Our school won the event that year and I couldn’t have been prouder.
The parade continued into the 1960’s but fell out of favor when the Vietnam War turned the country against everything military.
 

No comments: