Saturday, November 15, 2014

JOE AND NEMO


Next To the “Old Howard “burlesque theater in Scollay Square was a restaurant known as Joe and Nemo. It was famous for its hot dogs. This was the original location. It would later branch out to other locations when it was torn down during the 1960’s Urban Removal frenzied period. It was then that all of the remaining establishments in the Square were torn down to make room for the new City Hall and the vast wasteland in front of it.

It was here where I ordered and got my first alcoholic drink. I felt so grown up. I was still in my teen years and wondered if I would be carded and refused. No worry—they were willing to serve anyone whose chin could reach the bar.

The square had become seedy and run down by the 1960’s. However it was teeming with life and vitality. You could always tell when the fleet was in. The sailors dominated the landscape. Many a sailor left with a tattoo as a remembrance of Boston.

City Hall won all kinds of architectural awards, but I have never been in a more cold and concrete walled fortress. Even the late mayor Tom Menino wanted to tear it down and move to the waterfront.  He had the right idea.


2 comments:

Aunt Mal said...

I remember going to Joe and Nemos with my family at Revere Beach for hot dogs around 1950. We would go to the amusements at Revere Beach, ride the "Dodge 'ems" and then stop for a hot dog on way home. My 2 brothers and I would wait in the car with Mom while Dad went to get the hot dogs. I think they were 10 cents. Wonderful memories.

Unknown said...

I remember the Joe & Nemos on summer Street, Boston. Everything was steamed including the hamburgers.