Saturday, December 21, 2013

SLEDDING


·         Snow reminds me of the excitement I felt as a young boy when school was called off. That meant we could go sledding all day. West Fifth St. where I lived was ideal for sledding. All of us kids would gather at the top of the hill near Dorchester St. and take turns hurtling down the street.
 For some unknown reason the plows never came and ruined it for us. Nobody could afford a car anyway so that wasn't a problem. The first snowfall we got off I took my Flexible Flyer and waited my turn. Now those of us that were daring took a running start with our sleds held close to our chests then hit the ground running on the fly.
So I ran as fast as I could, hit the ground but my sled didn't cooperate. It stayed in place and I went down the hill ass over tea kettle. The steel runners had rusted since I had used it the previous year. The whole street roared with laughter and I had to live with that for the rest of the season. That was my first lesson in Physics---Friction

 

No comments: