Wednesday, December 25, 2013

KENNEDY BUTTER AND EGGS

When we needed food my mother would shop the local stores on Dorchester St. near our home on West Fifth St. But when we needed dairy products she sent me to the store on West Broadway known as Kennedy’s Butter and Eggs. During WWII dairy products were not available in abundance. So when I went my mother sent me with 3 things- money, a note for the counterman for the items she needed and a ration book. The book had stamps that rationed a certain number of eggs, cheese and butter products that could be purchased each month. I would patiently wait for the order to be filled, my change and for the return of the ration book. None of our neighbors felt it was a major sacrifice because we knew  that all of these scarce items were being sent overseas to feed our servicemen. There was a feeling of patriotism knowing we were doing our part for the war effort



 

1 comment:

N.Michaud said...

My family owned the Providence, RI Kennedy's Butter & Eggs location from 1967-1989. We sold specialty coffees, cheeses, butter, eggs, poultry, ice cream and deli products. We evolved into strictly a delicatessen,sandwich and ice cream shop in the 80's with sit down service. The new owners weren't successful and closed shortly after the purchase in 1989. A few other Kennedy's hung on for a few years but soon closed as well. As of today the only remaining Kennedy Butter & Eggs in Lowell, MA exists in name only as it is just a convenience store. I have vintage depression era artifacts like coffee tins, egg cartons and photographs that are valuable among collectors.